Samsara artificial intelligence (AI) analyzes real-time video captured by Samsara dual-facing dash cams to detect unsafe driving behaviors.
You can configure AI features for all vehicles in your organization, or you can override the settings for your organization and apply vehicle-specific settings.
To get started, you must enable AI Event Detection and configure the desired AI features (see Activating AI Event Detection). When you enable any AI features that are in beta, you are confirming you have read the AI Beta Feature Disclaimer.
Following Distance Detection: Identifies tailgating behavior where a driver is following too close to the vehicle in front of them.
- Forward Collision Warning [Beta]: Detects when a vehicle comes within seconds of a forward collision. When used in conjunction with In-Cab Alerts, can be used to prevent forward collisions.
Distracted Driving Detection: Identifies distractions indicated by a dip in head pose such as using a phone, eating, drinking, talking to passengers, or fiddling with the stereo while operating a vehicle.
- Policy Violations: Detects policy violations such as No Seatbelt [Beta] detected and No Mask [Beta] detected with the ability to enable In-cab audio alerts and to add the event for coaching:
- No Seatbelt Detection [Beta]: Identifies events where the driver was not wearing a seatbelt at the beginning of a drive.
- No Mask Detection [Beta]: Identifies events where the driver who are not wearing masks when they begin driving.
- Inward Camera Obstruction [Beta]: Detects and creates an alert when the view of the driver is obstructed.
When AI Event Detection is enabled, Samsara automatically identifies the vanishing point for each vehicle and uses this point to observe and calculate unsafe driving behaviors. This vanishing point is the point where the horizon of the road and the center of the driver’s lane meet (where the road begins to vanish).
To determine the vanishing point, Samsara requires an average of 20 minutes of drive time per vehicle. During the 20 minute calibration period, the camera will use the default lane positions which assumes the camera is perfectly centered on the lane/horizon. After calibration, cameras will trigger events for AI features based on the detected vanishing point.