Having insight into your fleet's speeding behaviors is a core component in keeping your fleet safe on the road. On your Samsara dashboard, you will be able to view speeding data on camera stills, video retrievals, speed graphs. You can also configure an alert that will notify you when drivers have crossed the speed limit threshold.
How Samsara Determines Speed Limits
During active trips, a vehicle's GPS location is uploaded to the Samsara cloud approximately every 5 seconds.
This GPS location (latitude/longitude) is then “matched” to the closest road segment using a third party mapping tool. Samsara's cloud then looks up the speed limit for that particular road segment in our Global Speed Limit Database and applies that speed limit value in various places throughout the dashboard.
Viewing Speed Data on Dash Cam Stills and Videos
The speed limit will appear as an overlay on dash cam stills and videos. If no speed limit is displayed here, it means our Global Speed Limit Database has no speed limit value for the matching road segment.
Viewing Vehicle Speed Graphs
If you would like to see how fast a vehicle was traveling on any trip that is recorded on the dashboard, you may do so by following these steps:
- Hover over the Overview tab (right below the search icon) on the left sidebar and click Assets
- Select a vehicle. You can search by tags or by typing in a vehicle's name
- Click the Graph Data button on the top right above the map and select Speed
From here you can change the date range and select time frames within a day to zoom into a specific time on the top left-hand corner of the screen.
Note: If the vehicle was speeding, the segment will be highlighted in red with the speed at which the vehicle was moving as well as the posted speed limit.
Viewing Speed Alerts on the Dashboard
Alerts can be configured based on vehicle speed exceeding the speed limit value in the Global Speed Limit Database. Please note that if a speed limit update is made, it will not retroactively fix the displayed speed limit value.
To create a Speed Alert, navigate to Alerts > Configure > Speed:
Overriding Speed Limits
As a Fleet Admin, you have the ability to override the speed limits originally set for your drivers in your organization using the Vehicle Trip Speed Graph. These overrides take effect immediately and apply to future trips.
Speed limit updates are not retroactive. Speed graphs and speeding reports for already-completed trips will not be affected.
Additionally, enabling the Speed Limit Overrides feature also removes the option to override speed limits through the dash camera stills. All overrides will be processed from the Speed Graph.
In order to override speed limits, it is required that you have write permissions enabled as an organization or have the appropriate tags to do so. Read more about permissions and user roles here.
To complete a Speed Limit Override:
- Navigate to the Speed Graph by navigating to Overview > Assets > Select the Vehicle > Graph Data > Speed.
- Toggle Edit Speed Limits Mode ON.
- Select the portion of the trip you wish to override. The affected sections of the vehicle trip will be highlighted on the map. The total number of road segments selected is displayed in the button next to the toggle. Note: You cannot edit more than 20 roads at once.
- The Update Speed Limit pop-up window will show the current speed limit value(s) on the selected roads, including any recent overrides. Input the desired speed limit override value.
- Click Save.
Note: A single override value will be applied to all selected roads. This override will be effective immediately for future trips on these road segments.
To find additional information on updating Speed Data view here.