In addition to vehicle diagnostics, you can monitor the use of equipment via the Auxiliary Inputs. Auxiliary Inputs are included with the J1939 cables that are shipped with vehicle gateways as well as select OBDII cables.
How to connect auxiliary inputs to your equipment:
1. Remove the heat shrink tubing from the pigtail to reveal three wires.
2. Locate the wires for Input 1 and Input 2 using the key below.
- Input 1 = RED, Input 2 = ORANGE, Unused wire = BROWN
3. Wire one of these into the circuit of your desired equipment. We recommend wiring to indicator lights, relays, or switches. We recommend using 20 gauge copper wire.
4. From there, navigate to Settings > Gateways in the Cloud Dashboard. Select the Settings button under Actions for the respective gateway. The Edit Vehicle box will pop up. Scroll down to Aux Input #1 Type or Aux Input #2 Type and select your option.
When the voltage of your vehicle surpasses 3.3 volts, the gateway considers the vehicle "On." Likewise, when your vehicle's voltage is under 3.3 volts the gateway considers the vehicle "Off."
In the event that you see different colored wires than stated here, please note that previously the OBD cables were as such:
J1939: Input 1 = RED, Input 2 = ORANGE, Unused wire = BROWN
OBDII: Input 1 = GREEN, Input 2 = YELLOW, Unused wire = BLUE
This information is available nearly instantly in the Samsara Dashboard. Check out the Equipment Report and Fleet Overview to see how and where your fleet uses the equipment.