Note: The AG24 asset gateway has recently been updated to AG26 in the US and Canada. All information regarding AG24 support, installation, functionality, and features applies to AG26. Samsara will continue to provide support and updates to the AG24. AG26 will be available later this year for our customers in Mexico and Europe.
The AG24/26 Asset Tracking IoT Gateway is ideal for monitoring dry-van and refrigerated trailers, heavy equipment, and high-value mobile assets.
It features a waterproof and ruggedized enclosure, a variety of sensor and interface accessories, and multiple built-in power options.
The AG24/26 enables improved operating efficiency, theft recovery, and regulatory compliance. Please look below to view information regarding activating and installing your AG24/26.
Activate your Asset Gateway
For both AG24 and AG26, it is best to first add your AG24 and AG26 gateways (using your gateway serial number) to your dashboard before physically installing your gateways on your assets (trailers, reefers, powered equipment, etc). This order of operations will ensure that your gateway will surface on your dashboard immediately upon physical installation. You will be able to view the gateway serial number of your AG24 or AG26 on the gateway itself or in your order confirmation email.
If physical installation occurs prior to adding your AG24 or AG26 gateway to your dashboard, please allow up to 24 hours prior to your AG24 or AG26 appearing as activated on your dashboard. During this time, ensure that your asset with the gateway installed is outdoors with good cellular connectivity. If cellular connectivity is poor or if the gateway is located indoors, it may potentially take longer for the gateway to surface as activated on your dashboard.
For New Customers:
- Locate the serial numbers for your Samsara Asset Gateway.
- Log into the Samsara Cloud Dashboard or go to https://cloud.samsara.com/activate.
- Enter the Hardware Serial for each Asset Gateway, pressing Enter after each entry.
- When done, select Submit. The Samsara Dashboard displays a green checkmark when the activation is successful.
- Continue to the Fleet View of your Samsara Dashboard.
For Existing Customers:
- From your Samsara Cloud Dashboard, navigate to Settings (Gear Icon) > Gateways > +Activate Devices.
- Enter the serial number located on the back or side of the device.
- When done, select Submit.
For more detailed information regarding activating your asset gateway, please click here.
Install an AG24/26 on a Dry Trailer (7-Way Install)
When you install an AG24/26 on a dry trailer, you utilize the power interface from the pulling or towing vehicle using a 7-way cable. After you install the AG24/26, it will operate in real time when power is supplied over the 7-way cable. Using this cable, the AG can draw power from the 7-way cable when it is plugged into a tractor and will operate in battery-save mode when not connected to tractor power.
Installing the AG24/26 on a dry trailer:
- Add your gateways to your dashboard if you haven't already.
- Select the desired mounting location and clean thoroughly with a cleaning wipe. For best results using solar charging, mount in a location with sun exposure. (Solar panel not available for AG26.)
- Attach mounting plate with adhesive strips. Secure with 4 self-tapping screws if desired.
- Mount asset gateway onto mounting plate with 4 flat-end screws.
- Plug the 7-way cable into the asset gateway and run cable to the 7-way connector.
- Use the zip ties to fasten the cable to the trailer.
- Connect cable to the 7-way connector.
- The light on the asset gateway will turn on for 30 seconds if the connection is successful. If the light down not turn on, reseat the cable on both ends and observe the light.
To view more details about the AG24/26 installation, please see the AG24 Installation Guide.
Install an AG24/26 on a Powered Asset
When you install an AG24/26 on a powered asset, you utilize the power interface from the asset using the powered asset cable harness with power and aux inputs (for engine hours). When the asset tracking gateway is connected to power, it will operate in real time. When power is not available form the asset, the asset tracking gateway will run off the internal battery in power-saving mode. The asset tracking gateway will function on an internal battery for up to three months but can also charge using solar power if the asset tracking gateway is installed in a location with sun exposure. (Solar panel not available for AG26.)
Installing the AG24/26 on a Powered Asset:
- Add your gateways to your dashboard if you haven't already.
- Choose location for installation depending on asset type and use case:
- To enable solar recharging, choose a position facing the sun. (Solar panel not available for AG26.)
- To reduce theft and detection, secure in an inconspicuous location inside the engine compartment.
- Attach the mounting plate using adhesive and the four provided self-tapping screws.
- Secure the AG24/26 to the mounting plate using the four provided flat-end screws.
- Plug the power cable into the asset tracking gateway and twist to secure.
- Connect the other end of the cable to power.
- Connect the red wire labeled power to the continuous power source (i.e. battery positive terminal).
- Connect the black wire labeled ground to the ground (i.e. battery negative terminal).
- Connect the yellow wire labeled ignition to the switched power source. If the yellow wire is too short, extend it using the accessory wire. When the ignition is off, the relay prevents vehicle power drain.
- (Optional) One possible configuration for powered equipment is to use the AG24 powered asset cable (CBL-AG-APWR). With this cable, the AG24 can draw full power from the equipment battery when the equipment is running, and will switch to the AG24's own internal battery when the activation signal is off.
Though labeled "Ignition," the yellow wire can be hooked up to any 12VDC signal on the equipment, and the red "Power" wire can be installed on any 12-24VDC power source. You would need to configure the Auxiliary Input in the gateway settings. Once installed, the gateway on the Samsara dashboard should be configured to read as an Auxiliary Input in the gateway settings. This Auxiliary Input configuration is necessary to track engine hours. Engine hours will start counting when a non-zero value is entered in Engine Hours of the device settings.
- The light on the asset gateway turns on when activated.
- (Optional) Use the provided zip ties to ensure that the cable does not obstruct activity.