ELD Mandate: Required In-vehicle Information
In 49 CFR 395.22, the ELD mandate requires that every ELD-equipped vehicle must have documents describing how a driver can operate the device, including:
- User Manual for the ELD
- Driver Instruction Sheet describing:
- How to operate the ELD in the event of an inspection; and
- ELD "malfunction reporting requirements" and "record keeping procedures during ELD malfunctions"
Accessing the Kit from the Driver App:
Start by logging into the Driver App. From there, select Settings > Help.
Printing the Kit or Distributing an Electronic Copy
Printing The Kit
You can print the required materials at any time from the Samsara website at the links below:
Driver App Manual:
- US DOT Inspection (English)
- Transport Canada Inspection (English)
- Transport Canada Inspection (French)
Using an Electronic Copy of the Manuals
The FMCSA has also clarified that the manuals may be made available to drivers in the vehicle in electronic form. Having these documents available in the driver app are fully compliant with FMCSA.
- The ELD mandate requires that a user manual and driver instruction sheet are available in the vehicle's cab.
- Electronic versions of the Driver App User Manual and DOT Instruction sheet are made available to drivers via the Samsara Driver App.
- Electronic copies of the manual can be printed and distributed to drivers.