More than an electronic logbook for HOS and ELD compliance, Samsara Driver is the all-in-one hub for fleet operations large and small. Eliminate paper DVIRs with all-digital inspection reports, stay on track with real-time routing information, and keep in touch with two-way messaging. Samsara Driver is the perfect companion to the Samsara Vehicle Gateway offering vehicle diagnostics, GPS tracking, safety monitoring, dashcams, and an expansive set of trailer sensors.
Driver App Overview & Settings
After you have logged in with your Fleet ID, Username, and Password, you will see a list of your fleet's vehicles. Select the vehicle that you will be driving today, and hit Confirm. Once you have confirmed your vehicle, it will bring you to the home page of the Driver App.
On this screen you will view:
- Messages (Envelope Icon) in the top left corner
- Settings (Gear Icon) top right corner
- Driving Team
- Sign Out option
The Messaging feature in the Driver App allows drivers and dispatchers to communicate via text in a safe format without leaving the app.
For more information regarding messaging from the Driver app, please view this article.
Under Settings (Gear Icon), you can:
- Select your Language: Deutsch, English, English (United Kingdom), Espanol, Espanol (Latinoamerica), Francais, Italiano, or Nederlands.
- Select your Theme: Day, Night, or Auto (the app will automatically enter night mode between 8:00PM and 6:30AM).
- Help: Answers frequently asked questions and allows you to access our Samsara Support page.
- Send Feedback: Allows you to send feedback directly and you can select if you are willing to receive a follow-up call from Samsara.
- Version: Allows you to view your current version of the Driver App and view past update details.
- Driving & Rest Screens:
- Auto-Open Driving Screen: If you toggle it on, it will automatically show the driving screen when Driving.
- Auto-Open Rest Screen: If you toggle it on, it will automatically show the rest screen when in Off Duty or in Sleeper Berth.
Hours of Service (HoS)
The four dials, or clocks, are located on the HOS Screen in the Driver App. These dials represent how many hours or minutes remain in a driver's Break, Drive, Shift, and Cycle clocks.
- The top left Break clock shows the time remaining in a driver’s shift until their 30-minute break.
- The top right Drive clock displays the drive time remaining in a driver’s shift until they are required to take a 10-hour break.
- The bottom left Shift clock represents how many hours of "On Duty" time a driver has before they must take a 10-hour break. Commonly referred to as a "daily limit".
- The bottom right Cycle clock indicates the time remaining on a driver’s cycle. This typically represents a 7/8 day or weekly limit.
In the HOS Settings on the top right, you will view the Timezone, Cycle, Restart, and 30-min Rest Break that are currently set. You can also Claim unassigned driving time from this screen.
For more information regarding HOS Dials, please visit this article.
Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR)
You may submit inspection reports in the Samsara Driver App by following the steps below:
- Click on the green DVIR button.
- Click Create DVIR.
- Select the type of DVIR you would like to perform (i.e. Vehicle + Trailer or Vehicle only).
- Fill out the form, including vehicle, inspection type, odometer, vehicle defects, trailer defects, and safety status > Next > Certify and Submit.
Under the Route section, you can view routes for Today and Future. You can Tap to view route, to view the start location, date and time, and stops on the route.
For more information regarding selecting routes from the Driver app, please visit this article.
Under the Documents section, you have the ability to upload information to administrators directly for the Driver App using the Documents feature.
Under the Vehicle section, you are able to select or change a Vehicle and Trailer. You can also use the search bar to look for a specific vehicle or trailer in your fleet. If your fleet has enabled drivers to create new trailers in the Samsara Driver App, you can search for a trailer and if it does not appear, you can then add that trailer and select it for the day. Simply type in the name of the trailer and click Add to trailer list and select Ok.
For more information regarding vehicle and trailer selections, please visit this article.
Under the Driving Team section, you can create your driving team.
For more information regarding using team driving, please visit this article.