The Samsara Cargo Monitor Sensor is a wireless sensor that you can deploy in any type of enclosed container to provide visibility into the presence or absence of cargo. You can use the Cargo Monitor Sensors to detect when cargo is loaded or unloaded to increase security and dock operations.
- Cargo Monitor Sensors are ideal for refrigerated trailers subject to moisture and power-washing: The sensors are IP67-rated and waterproofed to protect against splashes, spray, dust, and environmental wear-and-team.
- For greater visibility into multiple trailer zones or cargo areas, you can deploy multiple sensors in the same trailer. The sensors are easy to install and do not require any complicated wiring or cables.
- The Cargo Sensor can detect anything in the cone of the infrared signal that is emitted and detected by the device. If it detects something within 175cm (5 feet), it registers as full; otherwise, it registers as empty. This value can be configured by Samsara; please reach out to Support to have this value changed for each device.
- The infrared cone has a field of view of 6 degrees. Below is a table showing the cross sectional diameter of the cone at various distances away from the sensor. If an object is detected within the cross sectional diameter of the cone, the Cargo Monitor will register as Full.
Cone Size Table
Distance From Cone (Feet) Cross Sectional Diameter of Cone (Inches)
1 1.24 2 2.52 3 3.78 4 5.02 5 6.28 6 7.52 7 8.8 8 10.06 9 11.32
- The Cargo Monitor Sensor transmits data to Samsara IoT Gateways every 10 minutes, to provide you with timely sensor data and alerts when cargo status changes. The Cargo Monitor Sensor runs for 4-5 years off a single AA battery.
Installing the Cargo Monitor (CRGO) Sensor
- Clean the mounting area with the provided alcohol wipe.
- Place the sensor on the ceiling. Mount at least 20 inches away from any wall.
- Secure the sensor to the surface with the included adhesive.
- (Optional) For increased stability, secure with provided screws.
For more information, please view the Install Guide.
Cargo Monitor Troubleshooting
In the case that you need to troubleshoot your cargo monitor, please ensure that the following parameters are met before contacting support.
- The cargo monitor is mounted on the ceiling of the trailer facing down.
- Refer to the Cone Size table above to ensure the cargo is within viewing distance of the Cargo Monitor.
- Place the monitor directly over the area where cargo is typically stored and ensure at least 10 minutes has passed to allow for the monitor to record a new data point.
- The monitor will wirelessly connect to the gateway via Bluetooth. Ensure that the Cargo Monitor is within 100 feet of a gateway.
Things to consider:
- The following variables affect accuracy of infrared readings:
- Surface texture of the cargo; smoother surfaces will reflect infrared better than textured surfaces.
- Reflectivity of the cargo surface
- Metal and cargo may cause Bluetooth interference with Cargo Monitor and Gateway.