From the Coaching page, you can determine which drivers need to be coached and start a guided conversation using coaching sessions, which are organized by behavior. To set up events to go immediately into Needs Coaching status, thereby going directly into the Coaching queue without requiring human review, see Automatically Send Events to Coaching. For a more high-level view and to monitor the progress of your safety managers and coaches, view the Coaching Summary.
Coaching - Upcoming
From Safety > Coaching > Upcoming you can view information about drivers who have events that need coaching. Only events with assigned drivers will populate in the Coaching pages.
For each driver, you can view the driver name, safety score, behaviors to coach, last coached date, and assigned coach. To narrow the results, you can use the page filters to display drivers that match specific tags, event types, or assigned coaches. If a coach is not assign, you can use the Assign button to quickly add an assignment. When the coach is ready to start a session with a driver, the coach can select the Coach button in the right column. This opens a Coaching Session.
Coaches can quickly view a summary of all behaviors that require coaching for a driver on the Coaching Session page. For each session you can drill down into each behavior and view any events related to the behavior.
If a safety event has more than one label, Samsara displays the video on the relevant behavior pages in the coaching session. For example, if an event is labeled as Distracted Driving and Speeding, the video will show on the Distracted Driving behavior page AND on the Speeding behavior page in the coaching session.
To coach a driver:
- Select the name of the driver you want to coach from the Upcoming tab.
- Select the type of behavior you want to coach from the menu on the left. For each behavior:
- Review the Safety Tip at the top of the page for an explanation of the behavior that was flagged.
- Sort the events, if desired, by Newest, Oldest, or Starred.
- Review the event:
- Review the video thumbnail. The smaller thumbnail videos will autoplay when hovered over. Additionally, clicking into a small thumbnail will move that video to the large video player.
- From the action menu for the event (...), take action:
- View Details: View the details page for an event.
- Dismiss Event: If you've previously reviewed the details or think it doesn't need any additional investigation or coaching, you can dismiss the event. This removes it from the behavior page of the Coaching Session.
- After you have finished reviewing and coaching the driver on the behavior, Mark Behavior as Coached and then confirm the action. This will mark all videos (both watched and unwatched) as Coached.
- Summarize your coaching session by entering a note:
- Click the + button next to Behavior Note.
- Enter in any notes you want to save and then click the checkmark to save.
Coaching - Completed
To view all past Coaching summaries, you can visit the Safety > Coaching > Completed page. Samsara does not generate a coaching summary if you mark an event as Coached in the Safety Inbox.
For each session, you can view the date the session was marked as coached, the name of the driver, the behaviors included in the coaching session, and the name of the coach. To view the session details, click the name of the driver.
Note: Events put into Needs Recognition status are not integrated into the new Coaching page. To review Needs Recognition events, you can view the Safety Inbox.
At the end of the coaching session, Samsara generates a summary which highlights the behaviors coached and thumbnails of the video examples. The coaching summary also enables the coach and driver to sign the session and add a signature.
If necessary, you can log any notes to the session summary. To add a note, click the + button next to Session Note, enter the note, and click the checkmark when finished.
After you complete the coaching session, Samsara archives it to the Coaching - Completed page. To review the session, click the name of the driver to open the summary.
Note: Samsara does not generate a coaching summary for safety events marked as Coached in the Safety Inbox.