The "Samsara Mobile Forms" app (now available on Android and Apple) gives industrial customers like field workers, operators, and technicians the ability to capture data on-site with a digital form and ingest it in real-time for use in Samsara dashboards, reports, and analysis tools. The functionality is available with a separate licensing fee, please reach out to your Samsara rep to learn more.
This article will walk you through how to set up a form on a desktop and how to use the mobile form in the application.
Setup data inputs for manual entry
- Navigate to the asset you’d like to set up a mobile form for
- Click into the I/O tab
- Click +Add → New Data Input
- In the Data Input Configuration, give it a name and select Manual Entry as the source
- Choose what kind of form field you will need: number, text, checkbox, multiple choice, date, or time
- If you choose to use a number, you can set up a validation so that the field technician filling out the form has to stay within certain limits. For example, you may set up a validation for a tank that cannot hold more than 90 gallons by entering x < 90 in the validation condition. You can ignore the section for variables and data inputs.
- You can also configure the data group or tag
- Continue setting up data inputs for all of the manual entry form fields you’ll use to create your form
Set up the form on your desktop
- Navigate to the manual entry tab
- Click Configure Form
- Use the “Add Field” or “Add Section” buttons to create your form
- Add Section will create a divider in your form and a title, such as Status or Sales
- Add Field will let you select the manual entry data inputs you previously created
- You can drag and drop the sections and fields to rearrange the form as needed
- Continue building the form until you have all the fields you want captured
Using the Mobile Forms app
- You can download the mobile forms app from the app store by searching for “Samsara Mobile Forms." The app icon looks like this:
- Login with your Samsara username and password
- Click the three dots in the upper left hand corner to select the organization (if you belong to multiple orgs)
- The assets page will display any assets you have manual forms created for
- Click into an asset to view the forms that have been submitted, shown by the date
- Click into the form to review information
- Or, click “Add” in the upper right hand corner to create a new submission
- Click confirm to review the submission, and click submit to finalize
- If the mobile phone does not have internet access, the form can still be filled out and submitted. The form data will be sent to the cloud as soon as the phone is reconnected to service.