The Samsara ID Card Reader allows students to check-in and check-out when boarding and de-boarding a vehicle with the tap of a card. All that's required is a VG34 (Vehicle Gateway), a Samsara ID Card Reader and a unique Samsara ID Card for each student.
Setting up Student ID Cards in the Dashboard
1. Navigate to Settings > Student ID Cards.
2. Select Add Student ID Card at the top right-hand corner of the dashboard.
3. You will then be prompted to add student information. Under Card Code, type in the number printed on the physical ID card (you may omit the leading 0), and Save the student profile. The student now has their own personal ID Card.
1. Plug the ID Card Reader into the USB port of your VG34. If the USB port is already occupied by a dash cam, contact support at samsara.com/help for a USB splitter.
2. The ID Card Reader will beep once to indicate that it is receiving power from the gateway.
3. When the gateway is on and active, the light on the ID Card Reader will be solid orange.
How Students Use the ID Card Reader
When boarding the vehicle, the student will tap their ID card to the card reader. When this is done it will be recorded as the students Tag On time. When de-boarding they will tap the card reader once again, this will record their Tag Off At time.
When students check-in and out of their school transportation the Tag On time and Tag Off At time will be saved and reported in the dashboard. These reports will be found by navigating to Fleet > Reports > Rides.
The Rides Report contains information about your trips. You can view your data from five different perspectives:
Rides section will display the historical data around each trip taken. You will see the beginning and end of each student trip including which the vehicle they boarded, Tag On Time and Tag Off At time, the location of each Tag On and Tag Off, and if there is a multi-cam system installed into the vehicle you will see video footage of each Tag On and Off.
The Students section will display data based on each student, including the last time their ID Card was scanned, where it was scanned and which vehicle they boarded. If there is a multi-cam system installed it will also show footage taken from the last card scan.
The Vehicles section will show the vehicle, the number of scans, and the number of students who scanned their ID cards.
Routes section displays specific routes created in the Dashboard if a vehicle is following the route. Here you will see the number of stops and the number of students picked up during the route.
The Scans section is where all ID card scans made by students are displayed. It will specify the student name, student ID, Card ID, Vehicle, when the scan happened, and where this scan took place. If a multi-cam system is installed, it will also display footage of each scan.