Note: The AG46 improves battery functionality for the AG45. All information regarding AG45 support, installation, and feature compatibility apply to AG46. Samsara will continue to provide support and updates to the AG45. AG46 is currently available in the US, with availability in Canada, Mexico, the UK and EU coming later this year.
The AG45/46 Unpowered Asset Tracker is designed to check-in and report its location at a set Check-in Schedule. There are multiple options for setting each unit's individual check-in schedule or the check-in schedule for all of the AG45/46s in your account.
Turning on the Wake on Motion feature enables the AG45/46 to automatically wake up and check-in when it detects movement. These check-ins are recorded in the dashboard in addition to their regularly scheduled check-ins.
When the AG45/46 detects two minutes of continuous movement, the unit wakes up and checks-in to record its location. A second check-in occurs when the AG45/46 detects that it has stopped moving.
In addition to these check-ins, a secondary moving check-in rate can be set to trigger while the AG45/46 is moving. This check-in rate supersedes the check-in schedule set for the unit. Once movement has ended, the moving check-in rate ends and the check-in schedule kicks back in.
Check-in Rate Options
Check-in Rate Options Per Device:
- The AG45/46 checks in at a regular schedule selected in its device settings.
- The default check-in schedule is on check-in every 12 hours. This can be updated on the unit's Settings page, found under the three-dotted icon next to its name in the Fleet view.
- The setting can be found towards the bottom of the page.
- A Custom frequency can be set to change the default of every 12 hours. Changing the recommended Default setting can impact the unit's battery life.
Check-in Rate Options Organization-Wide:
- In the Assets section of the Settings page, a Check-in Schedule can be set for all of the AG45s that are activated in the account.
- The Fixed option sets the interval that the unit checks-in. For example, for an account with a fixed "Every 12 hours" setting, the unit will check-in at a regular interval of every 12 hours since the first check-in when it was first activated.
- The Scheduled option allows you to set a specific time and day(s) of the week that the unit should check-in and report its location.
Please note that if the unit's Device Settings is updated with a Check-in Schedule that differs from the account Setting's Check-in Schedule, the unit will prefer the Check-in Schedule in the Device Settings.
Enabling Wake on Motion
In the Settings page of your dashboard, select Assets. Select the Wake on Motion toggle and click Save to turn this feature on.
Wake on Motion Features
- The AG45/46's built-in accelerometer will wake up the unit when it detects at least two minutes of continuous movement. When the unit wakes up, it checks-in and reports its location.
- While the device is moving, it will automatically switch from the default check-in rate to moving check-in rate if a moving check-in rate is set.
- When the device comes to a stop, it will again wait for 2 minutes for the device to be stationary, to register a stop and check-in again.
- Note: If the feature is active, the start check-in and stop check-in happens every time, and is not dependent on check-in rates.
When the Wake on Motion is turned on, the device checks-in whenever the unit starts moving and stops moving. Samsara capture all movements under Check-In History. This allows you to preserve a historical record of all movements for the asset.
AG45/46 Battery Life
There are two impacts on the battery life:
- Turning on the Wake on Motion feature:
- Turning on Wake on Motion means the device is not completely going to sleep between check-ins, but going in a super low power mode to detect movement. The battery impact of turning on the feature reduces the life of the device by 15% (from 4 years, to approximately 3.25 years).
- One way to offset this is to change the default check-in rate to 24 hours. Setting the default check-in rate to 24 hours will offset the 15% reduction in the life of the device by turning on the feature.
- Moving Check-in Rate:
- The AG45/46 is designed to deliver 3650 pings (i.e. 2 pings a day for 4 years). If your asset moves a lot, and your moving check-in rate is set very high, it will consume the total pings much faster.
Setting-Up Movement Alerts
To create a start or stop alert through the Dashboard, please click on Alerts > Configure. Then under Add an Alert, select the Movement option. You can then select the type of New Movement Alert that you would like to create from the following options:
- Starts moving
- Starts & stops moving
- Stops moving
There will be options to select windows of time that will trigger the alert if the parameters are met as well as the ability to add a contact or contact for the alerts.