The Utilization Report for assets helps you better understand how much of your fleet is being used. To get a clear picture of exactly how your assets are being utilized, the report provides a percentage calculation of asset usage during a specified time range and allows you to segment your assets by type or location.
To access your Utilization Report:
- Navigate to Reports ( ) in your Fleet Dashboard.
- Under Assets, select Utilization.
You can toggle between Vehicles, Trailers, and Equipment and can view:
- On/Off time for the 12-hour period for each asset at the fleet level.
- Customizable hours based on available hours per week.
- Option to export raw data to get trailer level data.
- Different tags to compare segments of your fleet (example: by geography) and reallocate assets based on real utilization.
- Date ranges specified using the calendar feature.
- Vehicle and Trailer utilization is based on trips. Vehicle utilization calculation is rounded to the nearest hour. Trailer utilization is not rounded and calculated to the minute.
- Equipment utilization is based on engine run time.
Average Utilization displays the average utilization of your fleet based on a 12 hour day. Filter by tags to view the utilization of a specific subset.
The following table describes how the measurements are calculated:
|Vehicles and Trailers||Distance||Calculated based on trips during the selected period based on GPS movement|
Initiated when asset moves faster than 5 mph. Ends when an asset moves slower than 5 mph
|All assets||Utilization||Calculated based on trips detected during a one hour period and based on engine hours. If the asset was on a trip during that hour, it is counted as utilized.|
|Vehicles||Engine Hours||Measured directly from the asset's ECU. Otherwise, engine hours are calculated by incrementing the time when the gateway has received power from the asset (ie when the engine is on).|
By default, Samsara calculates utilization by looking at the number of hours that an asset was used during a 12-hour work day. You can customize the hours available using the steps below.
Customize Available Hours
To customize available hours for individual vehicles, trailers, or equipment, perform the following workflow:
- Select the checkbox for one or more assets. You can also select all assets by selecting the checkbox near the Asset column header.
- Select Edit hours available and enter the number of available hours per week. Total available hours in the report will adjust based on time range selected.
- Save your changes.