Samsara's AI Event Detection will alert drivers of potential safety risks on the road in real-time. When these AI features are enabled, you will receive alerts in your Safety Inbox and you can also choose to have in-cab audio coaching for drivers enabled.
We have three features you can enable for your fleet:
- Tailgating Detection
- Distracted Driving Detection
- Forward Collision Warning
Activating AI Features
We recommend that organizations with >250 vehicles test the AI features on a subset of vehicles before turning them on for the whole fleet in order to test the impact on Safety Inbox and in-cab audio feedback.
- Navigate to Settings > Safety > Event Detection > AI Event Detection.
- Toggle the AI Event Detection Setting On. You will know it is on when the toggle turns green.
- When Following Distance is turned on, a camera height setting will appear. You should select the height at which your cameras are installed most commonly across the fleet. If you have different vehicle types, the camera height setting can be controlled on a per-vehicle basis on the Individual Vehicle page.
- Once you've decided which vehicles you will use to pilot these features, you can scroll up to the top of the Safety page, and click the Edit Individual Vehicles option.
- Select the group of vehicles you want to adjust the AI features on. You can also filter by Tags or Current Settings.
- Click Edit Vehicles.
- A box will pop out where you can change the status of the following features to Enabled or Disabled:
- Distracted Driving Safety Inbox Events
- Distracted Driving In-Cab Audio Alerts
- Following Distance Detection Safety Inbox Events
- Following Distance Detection In-Cab Audio Alerts
- Forward Collision Warning Safety Inbox Events
- Forward Collision Warning In-Cab Audio Alerts
It is important to note that in order for in-cab audio alerts for an AI feature to function, the corresponding Safety Inbox Events alert must be enabled as well. However, you can enable any Safety Inbox Event alert for any AI feature without needing to enable the in-cab audio alert.
Check your Safety Inbox over the next week, and determine if the event volume is acceptable for a broader rollout to your fleet.
If you've enabled in-cab audio alerts, we recommend collecting feedback from drivers.
Once you feel confident with how you've configured these AI features, repeat steps 5-8 with additional groups of vehicles.