Designed to meet the harsh demands of the most remote sites across a number of industries, Samsara offers several antenna options for amplifying cellular signals. This article lays out the options and installation considerations for each antenna type and outlines how to connect the device to the cloud.
Solution 1: Included Antennas
A cellular connection is required to connect to Wi-Fi. When installing IG21 please ensure it has sufficient cellular signal from AT&T at the installation point. IG21s need a cellular signal to connect to the WIFI. If using ethernet, ensure the UPLINK/DOWNLINK switch is set to the downlink position. The device will connect via DHCP by default; a cellular connection is required to switch to static IP.
The Samsara IG21 ships with LTE, 2.4Ghz, 915Mhz by default–these will cover a majority of remote deployment scenarios. Install IG21 with antennas included in the box with IG21 and test connectivity. For more information on getting started, refer to our IG21 Quick Start Guide and IG21 Set Up Guide.
Attach the included antennas and power on the IG21
- Attach the antennas to their corresponding connectors at the top of the controller.
- Connect the IG to the AC power supply.
- After the five-minute initial boot, a green LED indicates that the controller is connected to the cloud.
- A yellow LED indicates that the device could not establish a connection.
Solution 2: Array Antennas
If installing the IG21 in an enclosure Samsara offers an array antenna that can be installed outside of the enclosure. The array antenna is omnidirectional and provides a higher gain than the standard antennas.
- Drill a 16mm diameter hole in the enclosure - This will allow the antenna cables to pass through and be routed back to the IG21
- Mount the antenna outside the enclosure - The antenna can be screw-mounted or mounted with the included adhesive strip.
- Route the antenna cables to the corresponding connectors on the IG21.
- Note: Sub_G antenna connector will plug into the 915Mhz connector and the Wifi connector will plug into the IG21s 2.4GHz connector.
Caution: Be sure to connect the correct antenna lead to the correct corresponding system controller SMA connector
Solution 3: Directional Antennas
Samsara offers directional antennas that can provide a more powerful signal when pointed at the nearest cellular tower. You can use a cellular signal meter to determine the direction of the strongest cellular signal and the nearest tower. Note that directional antennas only carry cellular signals.
- Mount the antenna via push pole cemented into the ground or onto an existing pole.
a. Ensure that the antenna is positioned at a high viewpoint, clear of obstacles.
- Wire the antenna back to the gateway using a shielded coaxial cable.*
*Cable must be purchased separately.
Please note that the cable should connect to the LTE part of the IG
- Full Directional Antenna Install Guide here
Recommended Cable Length and Types
- Cable options here
Recommended Cable Lengths & Types
15 feet or less (best for enclosure forming)
Up to 50 feet
50 feet to 130 feet
|LMR 900||130 feet or greater|
Antenna Tips & Tricks
- Refer to previous sites and cases for tower locations and local cellular issues.
- Array antennas carry cellular, wifi and GPS,Bluetooth, whereas Directional only cellular + wifi.
- WilsonPro 460218 RF signal meter kit: Purchase page // Spec sheet // How to use
- Mounting antenna: via push pole and mount on to an existing pole. Push pole cemented in the ground
Additional Supplies and Components
- Gland for Array Antenna CGB192
- Lighting Arrestor for Directional Antenna
- SMA connector male to female (whip)
Antenna Coax Extension Cable Information:
- For Multiband Antenna - plug to socket
- For Directional Antenna - plug to plug
- For Wifi Extension - plug to socket reverse polarity (multiband antenna only)