Samsara's ID Card Reader allows students to check-in and check-out when boarding and deboarding a vehicle with the tap of a card. All that's required is a VG34 (Vehicle Gateway), a Samsara ID Card Reader and a unique Samsara ID Card for each student.
Setting up Student ID Cards in the Dashboard
1. Navigate to Settings>Student ID Cards
2. Select Add Student ID Card at the top right-hand corner of the Dashboard.
3. You will then be prompted to add student information. Under Card Code, type in the number printed on the physical ID card (you may omit the leading 0), and Save the student profile. The student now has their own personal ID Card.
1. Plug the ID Card Reader into the USB port of your Vehicle Gateway. If the USB port is already occupied by a dashcam, contact support at samsara.com/help for a USB splitter.
2. The ID Card Reader will beep once to indicate that it is receiving power from the gateway.
3. When the gateway is on and active, the light on the ID Card Reader will remain a consistent orange.
How Students Use the ID Card Reader
When boarding the vehicle, the student will tap their ID card to the card reader. When this is done it will be recorded as the students "Tag On Time". When deboarding they will tap the card reader once again, this will record their "Tag Off At" time.
When students check-in and out of their school transportation the "Tag On Time" and "Tag Off At" time will be saved and reported in the dashboard. These reports will be found by navigating to Fleet>Reports>Rides Report.
The Rides Report contains the information displayed in 5 different ways: Rides, Students, Vehicles, Routes, and Scans.
Rides: Rides will display the historical data revolving around each trip taken. Here you will see the beginning and end of each student trip including the vehicle they boarded, Tag On Time and Tag Off At time, the location of each Tag On and Tag Off, and if there is a multi-cam system installed into the vehicle you will see video footage of each Tag On and Off.
Students: Students will display data based on each student. It will show the last time their ID Card was scanned, where it was scanned and which vehicle. If there is a multi-cam system installed it will also show footage taken from the last card scan.
Vehicles: The Vehicles section of the Rides Report is organized by vehicle. It will show the vehicle, the number of scans, and the number of students who have scanned.
Routes: If a vehicle is following a specific route created in the Dashboard, it will show in this section with the number of stops and the number of students picked up during the route.
Scans: This section is where all scans made by students are displayed. It will specify the student name, student ID, Card ID, Vehicle, when the scan happened, and where this scan took place. If a multi-cam system is installed, it will also display footage of each scan.