Initial API Set-Up
APIs allow other programs to communicate with our Samsara dashboards which means automation, integration, and improved efficiency! See below to go through the steps to set it up. Samsara administrators can utilize the Samsara API to customize control and monitoring of their Samsara products and data outside of their cloud.samsara.com environment.
Initial API Set-Up: Please read our API Basics article here that outlines how to set up the initial API.
Industrial API Capabilities
- List, create, delete, update all assets
DATA INPUT MANAGEMENT
- Easily see which data inputs are associated with specific assets, Plus filter by tag or asset
GET INDUSTRIAL DATA
- List most recent data points for data inputs, historical data points for data inputs, and follow a real-time feed of data points for data inputs. Plus filter by asset or tag
POST INDUSTRIAL DATA
- Post data to Samsara from the API and Ingest data points
- API Ingest = Cloud Only License (discuss with your Samsara Representative)
Industrial API Set-Up
Read below for the overview of the Industrial team's API.
It is recommended to have experience with REST APIs and review our documentation before setting up your API solution. Please work with your developer to help set up your API with this documentation.
This guide will briefly cover an example Industrial API call using Postman.
- API Tokens with appropriate permissions
- Knowledge of developer API protocols. Resources available at developers.samsara.com
- Platform or program to interface with API calls
- API functionality can be tested from a CLI interface (ex. Bash, terminal, etc)
- A recommended program for extended API testing and implementation is Postman. Available to download for free here.
Testing with Postman:
- Upon opening Postman, navigate to New > Request. Feel free to name this call and add it to a Collection (project directory).
- Add your Request URL (Typically https://api.samsara.com/v1/industrial/data) and navigate to Authorization > Bearer Token and apply your unique API Token
- Click Send to test out your endpoint and access token. When data is available, a JSON should be received with information from this endpoint.