First Step: Please read our API Basics article here that outlines how to set up the initial API.
- The current documentation above focuses on many of our Fleet-related endpoints, but endpoints related to Industrial or Manufacturing can be discovered here.
Second Step: Read below to for the overview of the Industrial team's API.
Samsara administrators can utilize the Samsara API to customize control and monitoring of their Samsara products and data outside of their cloud.samsara.com environment.
It is recommended to have experience with REST APIs and review our documentation before setting up your API solution. Please work with your developer to help set up your API based on the documentation linked above.
This guide will briefly cover an example Industrial API call using Postman.
- API Tokens with appropriate permissions. Instructions here.
- Knowledge of developer API protocols. Resources available at developers.samsara.com
- Platform or program to interface with API calls
- API functionality can be tested from a CLI interface (ex. Bash, terminal, etc)
- A recommended program for extended API testing and implementation is Postman. Available to download for free here.
Testing with Postman
- Upon opening Postman, navigate to New > Request. Feel free to name this call and add it to a Collection (project directory).
- Add your Request URL (Typically https://api.samsara.com/v1/industrial/data) and navigate to Authorization > Bearer Token and apply your unique API Token.
- Click Send to test out your endpoint and access token. When data is available, a JSON should be received with information from this endpoint.