This article will review the Standard Document Types that are available in your Samsara Dashboard as well as common scenarios for their use.
For more information on enabling required fields in documents, and how to create a custom document can be found in this support article.
1. To navigate to your Documents section, log into your Samsara Dashboard, then select Fleet > Documents
2. From there, select the + Create Document Type button
3. Then, select the type of Standard Document Type that you're needing to create or you can create a custom document
4. Lastly, you can use the toggle button to enable required fields for each document type and add additional fields by selecting the Add Field button
Breakdown of the different categories available:
Accident - The purpose of the accident document type is provide the following:
- Photos: photos of damage, insurance purposes, etc.
- Text: description of the incident, reference numbers, etc.
Citation - Per FMCSA - Refers to a notice, issued by a law enforcement officer to a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) driver for a violation of State law or a State-adopted Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation or Hazardous Materials Regulation.
The purpose of the citation document type is provide the following:
- Photos: photos of citation, etc.
- Text: reason for the incident, reference #, etc
Proof of Delivery (POD)- is a method to establish the fact that the recipient received the contents sent by the sender. Proof of Delivery becomes important when legal and financial documents are to be exchanged between two parties. This is typically photograph evidence.
The purpose of the proof of delivery document type is to provide the organization with assurance that drivers have actually delivered the loads as expected during their assigned routes:
- Photos: photos of delivery drop off or delivery sign-off sheet, etc.
Bill of Lading - A detailed list of a shipment of goods in the form of a receipt given by the carrier to the person consigning the goods. This will usually require a customer to sign off.
The purpose of this Bill of Lading document type is for dispatchers who want to know when a driver under their purview is submitting a Bill of Lading so they can audit that the right information was collected. The following fields are required:
- Reference #’s
Fuel Receipt - This receipt is primarily used for IFTA to determine how much fuel has been purchased and where.
Fuel receipt is an all encompassing document type which includes the following:
- Photos: fuel receipt photos
- Fuel Type: several sub options
- Gallons Purchased (to the decimal)
- Total Fuel Cost (to the decimal)
- Text Fields: fuel station address, fuel stop date, fuel stop time
Scale Ticket - This represents the gross vehicle weight at certain checkpoints.
The scale document type is most used for weighing product being transported by our drivers. The following fields are included:
- Photos: scale ticket photos
- Text: scale #, reference #)
- Gross Weight (in lbs to the decimal)