Samsara dash cams are HD cameras designed to improve fleet safety, exonerate drivers and lower accident-related costs. Cameras allow fleets to see photos and videos recorded when a vehicle is on a trip.
Before making a video request please note the following
- Camera and gateway must be connected.
- CM11/CM12/CM31 can hold up to 24 hours of drive time and CM22/CM32 can hold up to 40 hours of drive time
- Videos will not be available for retrieval after these drive times are met.
- Cameras only record while the vehicle is on a trip
- The trip must be completed before a retrieval can be made.
- Requests from an in-progress trip cannot be made.
- A video retrieval pulls 60 seconds of video starting at the time selected in the retrieval request. Please see Requesting a Hyperlapse to request video for a longer period.
Once a time frame is known you can make a video request by:
- Navigate to Fleets > Reports > Video Retrieval
2. Click Request Video Retrieval
- Vehicle - Select the vehicle
- Date - Select the date of the incident
- Time - Select the time of the incident
- Remember that you will get 60 seconds of the video starting from the selected time
- You may need to make several requests to cover a longer time frame.
3. Click Request
4. Video Status
- Waiting on device - Waiting for the device to power on and find the proper connections to upload the video
- Please note that the vehicle must be on for the video to upload
- No video found - This can happen when:
- There was no trip during that time frame so the camera was not recording
- The video during that time frame has been overwritten
- The request is from an in-progress trip
- Completed - The video was successfully uploaded to the cloud
How Long Does it Take for a Video to be Retrieved?
As noted above, the gateway and camera must be connected for a video to be retrieved. Once a connection has been made the vehicle must be powered on for the gateway to upload the video to the cloud.
A number of factors might slow down the video retrieval:
- Is the vehicle at a location with a good cellular connection?
- How many videos were requested at once?
- Requesting a large number of videos at once for one gateway can cause the video retrieval to slow down substantially.
- For quicker video retrieval, do not make more than three video requests at once.