Welcome to Samsara! Follow this article step-by-step to complete your Cloud Dashboard setup.
What you need to get started:
- Samsara Gateway and according to serial number found on the back of the device.
- A desktop or laptop computer (not a mobile device or tablet). We highly recommend Google Chrome, and you can download here).
You can follow along with the setup videos here.
Table of Contents
1. Visit here.
2. Click on “Sign up,” and Create an Account.
3. Input your organization name and select country. Select next.
Select Next or go to https://cloud.samsara.com/activate. You can also follow the link in your Order Shipped Email.
Please enter or copy and paste your gateway serial number in the open text box. If you have more than one gateway, please press Enter in between the serial numbers.
The serial numbers will be listed in the Order Shipped Email and on the physical device.
Once you enter in the serial numbers, select Activate Samsara Hardware
You will be shown a green checkmark that you have successfully activated the devices.
- If you receive the error below, please check the spelling of the serial number. If you have confirmed that the serial number is the exact one you were sent, please contact email@example.com.
Please click Continue to dashboard and you will be redirected to the Fleet View of your Samsara Dashboard.
View our video tutorial on installing a gateway below:
For PDF documents of installation guides and specs, click here.
Select Settings. This is where we will set up the basics of your Dashboard. The first section is General.
- Starting under Organizational Settings you will enter the name of your organization and your Fleet ID.
- The Fleet ID is something that your drivers will enter every time they log into the app.
- When you save, you will not see changes yet. As soon as you reload the page, the changes will appear.
- If you would like to allow drivers to use the Wifi Hotspot from the gateway, you may enable it here.
- You can choose any name or password for the wifi that you would like, and you can change this at any point.
- After you save this section, the changes might not appear until you reload the page.
If you would like others to be able to access your Samsara Dashboard, select the Admins section.
- Select + Add and organizational administrator.
- You will enter in the new admin’s email address and decide what level of access you would like them to have.
- You can click here to read about the different types of admin roles.
- The invitation will appear in the Pending Invitations tab until the new admin checks their email and accepts the invite.
- If you do not see any pending invitations, please reload your page.
- To learn how to accept an invite, click here.
By selecting Alert Contacts, you are able to set up Contacts to receive a variety of alerts to either their phone via SMS text or to their email or both.
- Select + Add contact.
- You can enter in as much or as little information as you would like here.
- These Contacts will also show up as options to be able to receive the Scheduled Reports if you would like.
On the Gateways page, you will rename your gateways so they do not appear as a serial number as drivers will select a vehicle every time they sign into the app.
- You can enter a VIN or odometer reading if the engine does not automatically provide that information to the gateway.
- If you would like to change the Harsh Acceleration Setting click here for more information.
In the Drivers section, you can create your drivers’ logins and enter in the necessary DOT information.
In the upper right corner of the Drivers section, select + Add a driver.
Here you will enter in:
- Driver Name
- Phone number
- Drivers Licence Number
- Drivers License State
- Driver App Username and Password
- Drivers will need to enter this every time they log into the app
- Each Driver Username is unique, if you get an error, please try a different username
Some optional settings are:
- Turning on Personal Conveyance or Yard Move. Learn more here.
- Setting a driver timezone if they often drive in a different time zone than the home office.
You are also able to bulk upload Drivers by following the instructions here.
When you are done, scroll to the bottom of the page and Save.
In the HOS/DVIR section, you will enter in your carrier and DOT information.
- You are required to have this information completed per FMCSA regulations for ELD compliance.
- You are also able to select your appropriate Driver Ruleset toward the bottom of the page by clicking on the round gear icon on the bottom right.