Welcome to Samsara! Follow this step-by-step article to complete your Cloud Dashboard setup.
What you need to get started:
1. Samsara Gateway and a serial number found on the back of the device.
2. A desktop or laptop computer (not a mobile device or tablet). We highly recommend Google Chrome, which you can download here.
You can follow along with the setup videos here.
Table of Contents
- Create Your Account and Set Password
- Activate Your Device
- Install a Gateway
- General Settings
- Add an Administrator
- Alert Contacts
- Naming a Gateway
- Add a Driver
- Enter Carrier Information
Create your account and set password
1. Visit cloud.samsara.com, then click sign up to create an account.
2. Input your organization name and select country. Select Continue.
Activate a Device
1. Select Continue after signing in for the first time or go to https://cloud.samsara.com/activate. You can also follow the link in your "Order Shipped" email.
2. Enter your gateway serial number in the open text box. If you have more than one gateway, press Enter in between the serial numbers. Find your device's serial number on your "Order Shipped" email or on the physical device.
3. Once you enter in the serial numbers, select Submit. You will be shown a green checkmark that you have successfully activated the devices.
If you receive an error message, please check the spelling of the serial number. If you have confirmed that the serial number is the exact one you were sent, please contact us by selecting the "Submit a Request" or "Help" button.
4. Click Continue to dashboard and you will be redirected to the Fleet View of your Samsara Dashboard.
Install a Gateway
View our video tutorial on installing a gateway below. For PDF documents of installation guides and specs, click here.
Select Settings by clicking the cog-shapped icon at the bottom-left corner of the left-hand sidebar of the Fleet view.
This is where we will set up the basics of your Dashboard. The first section is General.
1. Starting under Organizational Settings, enter the name of your organization and your Fleet ID (the Fleet ID is something that your drivers will enter every time they log into the app).
2. If you would like to allow drivers to use the Wifi Hotspot from the gateway, you may enable it here. You can choose any name or password for the wifi network that you would like, and you can change this at any point.
Add an Admin
If you would like others to be able to access your Samsara Dashboard, select the Admins section.
1. Select + Add an organizational administrator.
2. Enter the new admin’s email address and decide what level of access you would like them to have. Click here to read about the different types of admin roles.
3. The invitation will appear in the Pending Invitations tab until the new admin checks their email and accepts the invite. To learn how to accept an invite, click here.
Select Alert Contacts to set up Contacts to receive a variety of alerts via SMS text, email or both.
1. Select + Add contact
2. Enter a first name, last name, and phone number and/or email address in the following window
4. These new contacts are now options to receive both Alerts and Scheduled Reports
Naming a Gateway
Under Settings > Gateways, rename your gateways so they do not appear as a serial number on your reports or in the Driver App.
You can enter a VIN or odometer reading if the engine does not automatically provide that information to the gateway.
If you would like to change the Harsh Acceleration Setting click here for more information.
Add a Driver
In the Drivers section, you can create your drivers’ logins and enter in the necessary DOT information.
1. In the upper right corner of the Drivers section, select + Add a driver.
2. Here you will enter in:
- Driver Name
- Phone number
- Drivers License Number
- Drivers License State
- Driver App Username and Password
- Drivers will need to enter this every time they log into the app
- Each Driver Username is unique. If you get an error, please try a different username
- Some optional settings are:
3. When you are done, scroll to the bottom of the page and Save.
Entering Your Carrier and DOT Information - HOS/DVIR
In the HOS/DVIR section, you will enter in your carrier and DOT information.
You are required to have this information completed per FMCSA regulations for ELD compliance.
You are also able to select your appropriate Driver Ruleset toward the bottom of the page by clicking on the round gear icon on the bottom right.