Note: The AG24 asset gateway has recently been updated to AG26 in the US and Canada. All information regarding AG24 support, installation, functionality, and features applies to AG26. Samsara will continue to provide support and updates to the AG24.
In the Trailer Management portal of the dashboard, you can create and manage the trailers in your fleet.
You can find this page by navigating to Overview > Assets > and clicking the Trailers tab.
Clicking on the Trailer tab will display all Trailers stored with the organization and these fields:
- Name: a unique identifier for each trailer (if a gateway is paired with the trailer, the gateway serial is listed under the trailer name)
- If installed with a gateway this shows the location and time last reported by the gateway.
- If trailer does not have a gateway, it will not provide a location.
- Last trip: timestamp of the trailer’s last trip (available if a gateway is paired with the trailer)
- Status: tethered or untethered (available if a gateway is paired with the trailer)
- Tethered (Secondary)- the AG24/26 is receiving power
- Tethered (ABS/Secondary)- the AG24/26 is wired and currently receiving ABS power
- Untethered - the AG24/26 is wired, but not receiving power from the 7-way connection
- If installed cable denotes a Reefer we display the following statuses:
- Off - The Reefer is currently powered off
- On - Continuous - The Reefer is currently powered on and in Continuous Mode
- On - Start/Stop - The Reefer is currently powered on and in Start/Stop Mode
- Battery: AG24/26 battery level (available if a gateway is paired with the trailer)
- OK - unit has greater than 25% battery capacity
- Low - unit has less than 25% battery capacity
- Tags: any tags associated with the trailer
Creating and Editing Trailers:
To create an individual trailer, go to Overview > Assets > Trailers tab > Select the Add Trailer button at the top right, and input a name for the new trailer.
To make the individual trailer available for drivers to select in the mobile app, ensure the Driver App Trailer Selection to Enabled (please reference the ‘Trailer Selection’ section below for additional details on viewing Trailers in the Driver app).
If you would like to create or edit your trailers in bulk, please refer to this Knowledge Base article.
To edit an existing individual trailer, click the Three Dots to display additional actions for the Trailer you want to modify, and select ‘Settings’.
The modal that displays provides options to Edit data about the trailer and an option to Delete the Trailer including all stored data about the Trailer.
Editable Trailer Data:
Name - Editable but must remain unique within the organization
Tags- Can be selected from existing tags created for the Organization. New tags must be created from the Tags feature within Settings.
License Plate- Editable
Unpowered Asset Gateway Check-In Schedule- editable and allows adjustment of the check-in schedule that this device will adhere to when the device is not receiving power. See more details about this in AG24/26 Check-In Features
Driver App Trailer Selection - Editable and allows this trailer to be displayed and usable within the Driver app (see ‘Trailer Selection’ section below for more details)
User Note- Editable
Trailers that currently have gateways paired can display a few additional fields:
Odometer (kilometers or miles) - displays an odometer value and allows manual editing and management of odometer values
Engine Hours - displays engine hours for the Trailer which can be updated automatically if unit has a paired gateway with an integration (such as Reefer) that can automatically pull and manage this data
Aux Input- allows configuration of Aux input signal if applicable
This will remove the Trailer from your organization, remove any historical location data that may have been stored with the trailer if any gateways had been paired to it, and disassociate a linked gateway from the organization if one is currently linked. Please use this function with care.
To allow your drivers to select trailers within the Driver App, navigate to Settings > Trailer Selection.
Enabling Trailer Selection will allow Trailers to appear in the Driver app so that they can be selected in DVIRs, routes, and other components of the Driver App.
Once Trailer selection is enabled, additional options include:
Limit selection of trailers to a cap to prevent drivers from accidentally or selecting too many trailers on a route or DVIR
Allowing Driver trailer creation so that drivers can add new trailers directly from the Driver app. When enabled, drivers can add a new trailer as needed, for instance when needing to pick up a visiting or temporary trailer that isn’t already logged in the organization. Once added, the driver created trailer would appear in the Asset List the same as if it were added from the Dashboard
Displaying Unpowered Asset Gateways as Trailers:
You may want to install Unpowered Asset trackers, such as the AG45 or AG41, on many kinds of assets in your fleet. When you are attaching unpowered trackers to Trailer assets, it can be helpful to categorize those under the ‘Trailers’ section as well.
By default, assets tracked with an Unpowered tracker will appear in the ‘Unpowered’ tab of the Asset List, but this can be modified by following these steps:
Navigate to Assets > Unpowered
Click on the Three Dots to display more actions and Select ‘Convert to trailer’
The asset will then be display in the Trailers list and be available in all Trailer Management features
The asset can be converted back to unpowered by navigating to the asset in the Trailer list, clicking the Three Dots to display more actions, and selection ‘Convert to unpowered'
Pairing a Gateway to a Trailer:
To pair an unlinked trailer to an existing activated gateway, select Pair Asset and select the gateway name from the Link to dropdown.
This action would unpair the gateway from any other Asset it was linked to and start to associate it with the newly chosen Trailer. Existing data that was logged to the Trailer asset would remain with that asset, while any new location or other data collected by the gateway would store with the new Trailer from that point forward.
Note: If you are trying to activate a new gateway intended for a Trailer, you should follow the procedure to Activate the Gateway which will automatically create a linked Trailer to the gateway that will display in the same Asset List]
Deactivating a gateway:
Gateways that currently associated to a Trailer, but are no longer in use can be deactivated so that they no longer attempt to collect and store data.
- To deactivate a trailer gateway, select Deactivate Gateway in the trailer additional options.
- Once completed, the Trailer Asset to which the gateway was paired will remain including all past data that was logged from the gateway.
- To also delete the Trailer, use the Delete Trailer option from within the Settings feature listed under the additional options menu for the Trailer.