Samsara offers a Trailer Management portal in the Dashboard to allow creation and administration of trailers available for driver selection.
The Trailer Management portal shows the following information about each trailer:
- Trailer Name: this is a unique identifier for each name. It appears on this page how it will appear to your drivers in the driver app.
- Linked AG: this is an optional association with a Samsara Asset Gateway for increased fleet tracking and connected visibility.
- Created By and Created On: these shows the date of creation and user who created a trailer, for visibility into the source of data available in this portal
The Trailer Management portal allows the following actions for each trailer:
- Edit: this allows updates or edits to the Trailer Name and associated Asset Gateway
- Disable / Enable: this allows the trailer to be hidden from selection in the Driver App, or removed to the selection list. Trailers that are disabled from selection will still retain all completed DVIRs and other associated logs. Use this option for trailers created by mistake or trailers no longer in your fleet.
Creating Trailers in Samsara
To create trailers, go to Settings > Trailers & Assets. From this page, you can create trailers individually or in bulk. To create a trailer individually, select Add Trailer and input a name for the new trailer. You may optionally associate the trailer with a Samsara AG at this time (see below).
Creating Trailers Using CSV Upload
To create trailers in bulk, create a CSV file with four columns: ID, Name, Linked AG, and Trailer Selection.
- The ID column should remain blank to create a new trailer; only include ID if a trailer already exists in the portal and you would like to update it.
- The Name column should contain the unique name for the trailer.
- The Linked AG column should contain the serial number of the Asset Gateway you would like to associate to the trailer. Note: the name of the Linked AG will override any trailer name in the Name column.
- The Trailer Selection column should say "enabled" or "disabled" for each trailer, indicating if it is available for selection in the Driver App.
- Once you're ready to upload your CSV file, please navigate to Settings > Assets and Trailers >
Select the More Actions button, then Upload CSV.
Linking Trailers to Associated Asset Gateways
To link a trailer to an AG, select Edit for the trailer and select the desired AG from the dropdown list of AGs in your fleet.
Disabling Selection for Specific Trailers
To disallow selection of the trailer in the Driver App, while retaining all records for the trailer in the Samsara system, select the "Disable" button for the trailer. If you later decide to enable the trailer, you can select the "Disabled" tab of the trailer list and select "Enable" for a single trailer.
Enabling Trailer Selection for Driver App
You can turn on or off trailer management for your fleet using the switch at the top of the Trailer Management portal.
Note: This will change the appearance of some pages in the Driver App. It will add a "Trailer" tab to the Vehicle Selection screen, and allow DVIRs to be completed for a trailer alone. To avoid confusion, it is best to ensure your drivers understand these changes before making this change.
To learn more about Trailer Selection in the Driver App before turning this on for a fleet, read our Knowledge Base article.
Maintenance with Trailers
With trailer selection, DVIRs for trailers will be reported alongside DVIRs for vehicles, with defects and resolutions following the DVIR flow.
Viewing Trailer DVIRs
Trailer DVIRs can be found in the Dashboard under Fleet > Maintenance > DVIR.
DVIRs are listed here for the vehicle or trailer that the driver had selected when creating their DVIR.