Samsara gateways are expected to report their locations regularly. In some rare cases, a gateway will become disconnected and unable to update its location. A Last Connected status will show on the Vehicle page.
A gateway can be disconnected for one of two reasons.
1. The unit is disconnected from power, and the battery has died
“Last Connected” will indicate when the battery ran out, and the map will show the last location it was able to record. The gateway's indicator light will be dark.
To troubleshoot power issues:
- Make sure both ends of the cable are securely connected.
- Make sure the connection is powered - some vehicles only provide power when the engine is running.
- Ensure that any fuses relating to the power source are properly seated. For Vehicle Gateways connected to the diagnostic port, this can include fuses related to the ECM and CAN bus.
2. The unit does not have a connection to cell service or Wifi
“Last Connected” will indicate when it lost connection and it will show the location at which it became disconnected. The gateway's indicator light will be solid or flashing orange.
To troubleshoot internet connection issues:
- Unplug the gateway from its power cable. If the gateway's indicator light is still on, wait for it to turn off (this could take about an hour depending on the charge level of the internal battery).
- Reconnect the gateway's power cable, ensuring that both ends of the cable are securely connected.
- The indicator light should start as solid orange, then go to blinking orange, and finally to solid green. A few minutes after the reboot is complete, you should see the gateway update on the Samsara dashboard.
If the indicator light comes on but does not turn green, please contact support for further troubleshooting.