When a vehicle moves, drive time is recorded. In situations where a vehicle moves without a driver signed into that vehicle in the Driver App, Unassigned HOS will be created. This drive time needs to be assigned to a driver or explained by the fleet admin.
Best Practice for Unassigned HOS
The recommended best practice is to assign the drive time to the appropriate driver when possible; this leaves less room for interpretation during an audit.
Assigning or Annotating Unassigned HOS
1. Navigate to Fleet > Reports > Unassigned HOS to find all unassigned driving segments
2. Here, you will see all unassigned segments organized by Vehicle. Select the vehicle's name and adjust the time frame to the desired date range. Here you will see all unassigned trips associated with the vehicle within the times you've selected.
3. Mark the checkbox to the left of each trip you want to assign or annotate. You can also select all segments shown with the Select All button. To Assign: Click Assign Selected, then in the following window select the appropriate Driver and Duty Status, and click Save. Once assigned, these unassigned segments will go into the Pending tab where it will stay until the driver assigned to the HOS approves the assignment. Queued edits, edits made before a driver certifies their log will also be found in the Pending tab.
To Annotate: Click Annotate Selected, then in the following window type a comment about the vehicle movement and click Save. This will provide an explanation for why the drive segment occurred, without having to assign it to a specific driver. After annotating, the segment will be found in the Annotated tab.
4. Newly assigned segments will remain in the Unassigned HOS report until the driver reviews and accepts the assignments in the Driver App. They will also surface on the driver's HOS log as pending edits until they are accepted. If the driver's log has not yet been certified, the driver will be able to view the suggested assignments after certifying their log. Scroll below to find "Driver App: Accepting or Rejecting Carrier Edits" for details on this process.
Unassigned Driving Alerts
Admins managing and keeping track of unassigned driving have the ability to configure Alerts to notify them of when a vehicle in their fleet is accruing unassigned driving.
To learn how to configure alerts please visit here.
Driver App: Accepting or Rejecting Carrier Edits
Once HOS has been assigned to the driver by the carrier, the suggestion is immediately pushed to the driver's mobile device in the Driver App. If the log has not been certified yet, the HOS assignments will surface as soon as the driver certifies their log for this day.
1. The driver see will a red banner labeled Review Carrier Edits on the main HOS screen as well as on any individual log where pending edits exist.
2. The driver taps Review Carrier Edits to Accept or Reject the edits. If they do not view the edits here, they are prompted again immediately before Sign Out.
3. The log related to the HOS assignments you made will open, prompting the driver to review your changes and re-certify. They can switch between Edited Log and Original Log to compare your changes with the original.
4. If more than one edit exists in the log, the driver may tap the checkmark or x next to each edited segment to accept or reject that individual segment. To reject all edits, they must tap the x next to each edited segment. Rejected edits will go back to the Unassigned queue on the Dashboard.
5. The driver selects Certify and Submit at the bottom of the screen.
6. If more logs exist with pending edits, tapping Certify and Submit will then direct the driver to the next log needing review. They can click Skip at any time to move on to a different day or Cancel to exit this screen.
Please note assigning Unassigned HoS is considered an edit to a Driver's log. Administrators can edit up to 30 days of certified logs (the driver will be prompted to accept/reject these edits).