What are Unassigned HOS?
Whenever a vehicle moves, drive time is recorded. In situations where a vehicles moves (without a driver signed into that vehicle) unassigned HOS will be created. This drive time needs to be explained by the fleet admin or reassigned to another driver.
Best Practice for Unassigned HOS
The recommended best practice is to assign the drive time to the appropriate driver when possible; this leaves less room for interpretation during an audit.
Assigning Unassigned HOS
Administrator Assignment of Unassigned HOS
- The Unassigned Hours can be accessed and assigned to a driver by going to: Fleet > Reports > Unassigned HoS.
- Select Truck # and adjust the time frame to the desired date range.
- You will see unassigned trips associated with a vehicle.
- Notice each unassigned segment has a location associated to it.
- Mark the check box to the left of each trip to select it. Then click "Assign Selected" to move those segments to a driver. You can also select all segments shown with "Select All".
- Now select the appropriate driver and press Save.
The HOS will remain in Unassigned HOS until the driver reviews the assignment and accepts the change.
Annotating Unassigned HOS
In situations where someone who is not a driver, moves the vehicle (like a mechanic), you have the option to annotate a drive segment. This will provide an explanation for why the drive segment occurred, without having to assign it to a specific driver. Once it is annotated, it will disappear from the unassigned HOS tab.
Click "Annotate" on a segment.
Leave a comment explaining the "Reason for segment being Unassigned"