Whenever a vehicle moves, drive time is recorded. In situations where a vehicles moves (without a driver signed into that vehicle) unassigned HOS will be created. These drive time needs to be explained by the fleet admin or assigned to a driver.
Best Practice for Unassigned HOS
The recommended best practice is to assign the drive time to the appropriate driver when possible; this leaves less room for interpretation during an audit.
Assigning Unassigned HOS
The Unassigned Hours can be accessed and assigned to a driver by going to:
Fleet > Reports > Unassigned HOS.
From there, select the Vehicle's name and adjust the time frame to the desired date range. Here you will see the unassigned trips associated with the vehicle.
To assign the trips, mark the check box to the left of each trip and select Assign Selected to move those segments to a driver. You can also select all segments shown with "Select All" and assign it to a driver.
You can then finalize the assignment by selecting the appropriate Driver and Duty Status and clicking save.
The HOS will remain in Unassigned HOS until the driver reviews the assignment and accepts the carrier edits. Scroll down to "Driver App: Accepting or Rejecting Carrier Edits" for next steps.
Annotating Unassigned HOS
In situations where someone who is not a driver, moves the vehicle, you have the option to annotate a drive segment. This will provide an explanation for why the drive segment occurred, without having to assign it to a specific driver. Once it is annotated, it will now appear under the "Annotated" tab instead.
To do this, mark the check box to the left of each trip to select it. Then, click "Annotate Selected." You can also select all segments shown with "Select All" and then annotate.
After the segment is chosen and you select annotate, the an Annotate HOS segment dialog box will appear. Leave a comment explaining the "Reason Unassigned Time" and then Save.
Driver App: Accepting or Rejecting Carrier Edits
Once a correction has been saved by the carrier, the correction is immediately pushed to the driver's mobile device in the Driver App.
1. The driver see will a red banner labeled "Review Carrier Edits" on the main HOS screen as well as on any individual log where pending edits exist.
2. The driver taps "Review Carrier Edits" to Accept or Reject the edits. If they do not view the edits here, they are prompted again immediately before Sign Out.
3. The log you edited will open, prompting the driver to review your changes and re-certify. They can switch between Edited Log and Original Log to compare your changes with the original.
4. If more than one edit exists on the log, the driver may tap the checkmark or x next to each edited segment to accept or reject that individual segment. To reject all edits, they must tap the x next to each edited segment.
5. The driver selects "Certify and Submit" at the bottom of the screen.
6. If more logs exist with pending edits, tapping Certify and Submit will then direct the driver to the next log needing review. They can click "Skip" at any time to move on to a different day or "Cancel" to exit this screen.