To create or view Document types as an administrator in your Samsara Cloud Dashboard, navigate to Documents.
1. Click Create document type > Create Custom Document Type - this starts the process with a blank form.
2. Click Create document type > Create from a standard document type - this allows you to work off of six standard document types as a template.
3. Name the Document Type.
4. Click Add Field to determine what types of information can be submitted in this document type:
- Number field: this field type will prompt the driver to enter a numerical value with an allowance of decimal places you choose.
- Text field: this field type will prompt the driver to write any text here.
- Photo field: this field will prompt the driver to take a photo or upload a photo from their device's gallery.
- Multiple choice field: this field will prompt the driver to select one of the multiple options you create here.
- Signature field: this field will prompt the driver to type their name and draw an eSignature with their finger in the app. Rotating the device to landscape mode will enable a wider field for capturing a signature.
- Date/time field: this field will prompt the driver to input a date and time.
5. Name each field.
6. Mark each field as required or not required.
7. Drag and drop fields to rearrange the order of the document type.
Editing or Deleting Document Types
Documents can be deleted or edited later under the Document Types tab. Note: this will not impact any previously submitted documents and will only change the form presented to your drivers in the future.
On the Driver App, navigate to Documents > Create new document. The document types that have been created in the dashboard will be available here.
A red asterisk will delineate the fields that are required. All required fields must be entered in the Driver App in order to save a document submission.
- You can filter documents by date using the date picker in the upper right-hand corner of the dashboard, document type, or the Tags dropdown filter. All three filters can be used in conjunction together.
- Only documents submitted by drivers from the selected driver tag(s) will display when the Tags filter is applied
- Only documents received within the selected date range will display when using the date picker in the upper right-hand corner of the dashboard
- Only documents of the selected document type will display when the Document Type filter is applied.
Editing, Archiving & Deleting Submitted Documents
Archive: Select the Archive button in the top right-hand corner of the document detail view to archive the document.
Note: After archiving, the document will only be visible in the Archived Documents tab of the document dashboard once archived and will no longer be visible in the Driver App. Archived documents can still be fetched via the APIs.
Unarchive: Documents can be Unarchived from the document details page after they have been Archived, which will return them to a Submitted status. They will again be visible in the Submitted Documents tab.
Delete: Select the Delete button in the top right-hand corner of the document detail view to delete it. A confirmation dialogue will display where you must confirm that you want to proceed with the delete action.
Note: Once a document is deleted, it will no longer visible in the dashboard or the Driver App nor will it be fetchable via API.
Audit Log: Once edits have been made to a document, the audit log can be viewed underneath the document details page to view all changes made to the document. The audit log will display 1) who made an edit, 2) when, 3) the field edited, 4) the previous value and 5) the new value for all edits made. The audit log will also display state changes between “submitted,” “archived” and “unarchived” statuses.
How to Download Documents Data
To learn how to export document data, please refer to our article on Downloading Documents to a CSV File.
How to Download A Portable Document Format (PDF)
Open the document you want to export then select the “Get PDF” button to begin the export process.
Please note this process may take a few seconds if there is a large queue of documents currently being converted into PDF.
Once complete, the document will download as a PDF file directly from the browser to your desktop.