Samsara dash cams are HD cameras designed to improve fleet safety, exonerate drivers and lower accident-related costs. Cameras allow fleets to see photos and videos recorded when a vehicle is on a trip.
Before requesting a video retrieval please note the following
- The camera and gateway must be connected.
- CM11, CM12, and CM31 models can hold up to 24 hours of footage and CM22 and CM32 models can hold up to 40 hours of footage.
- Videos will not be available for retrieval after these drive times are met.
- Enabling camera audio in CM22 and CM32 models will reduce available storage to 37 hours.
- Cameras only record while the vehicle is on a trip.
- The trip must be completed before a retrieval can be made.
- Requests from an in-progress trip cannot be made.
- A video retrieval pulls 60 seconds of video starting at the time selected in the retrieval request. Please see Requesting a Hyperlapse to request video for a longer period.
1. Navigate to Fleets > Reports > Video Retrieval
2. Click Request Video Retrieval
3. Select the vehicle, date and time of the incident
- You will get 60 seconds of the video starting from the selected time.
- You may need to make several requests to cover a longer time frame.
4. Click Request
- Waiting on device - Waiting for the device to power on and find the proper connections to upload the video
- Please note that the vehicle must be on for the video to upload
- No video found - This can happen when:
- There was no trip during that time frame so the camera was not recording
- The video during that time frame has been overwritten
- The request is from an in-progress trip
- Completed - The video was successfully uploaded to the cloud
How Long Does it Take for a Video to be Retrieved?
As noted above, the gateway and camera must be connected for a video to be retrieved. Once a connection has been made the vehicle must be powered on for the gateway to upload the video to the cloud.
A number of factors might slow down the video retrieval:
- Is the vehicle at a location with a good cellular connection?
- How many videos were requested at once?
- Requesting a large number of videos at once for one gateway can cause the video retrieval to slow down substantially. For quicker video retrieval, do not make more than three video requests at once.