Samsara supports the ability to create speeding alerts in case a vehicle is driving at an unsafe speed.
To create a speeding alert:
- Navigate to Alerts > Configure > Speed
- Select whether you want to be alerted if a certain speed is reached, or if you want to be alerted if a vehicle exceeds the speed limit by a specified amount.
- Vehicles this alert applies to
- All vehicles in the group is selected by default
- Click Edit Vehicle Selection to select
- Specific tags in the group
- Specific vehicles in the group
- You may select multiple tags/vehicles
- Click Done selecting vehicles when you’re done editing vehicle selections
- Input how many minutes the alert must hold for before sending the alert
- Avoid these times - Pick days and times to disable alerts
- Search contact book - pick the contact who will be receiving the alerts
- You can select multiple contacts to receive the alerts
- If the contact has a phone and email, once you’ve selected the contact you can choose to use only phone or email by unchecking/checking the boxes
- If the contact is not there you can create a new contact by clicking New
- Enter First Name (required)
- Enter Last Name
- Enter Phone and/or Email (required)
- Click Save
- If you see a contact with the wrong email/phone number you can edit the contact by clicking Manage.
- Description - You can add a short description about this alert so you can easily identify it in the future
- Click Save
Note: If a driver/vehicle is driving constantly over the configured speed threshold, and there is no time threshold configured for the alert, administrators will only receive alert notifications every 30 minutes at most. This is done purposely in order to limit the amount of email/SMS notifications that an admin receives, as well as cut down on the noise in the Alerts > Incidents page of the Dashboard.
Once you’ve created the speeding alert, it will appear on the left side of the page. You can turn the alert on or off by toggling the switch. If you want to edit the alert, click on the alert and edit accordingly.