Samsara supports the ability to create speeding alerts in case a vehicle is driving at an unsafe speed.
To configure a speeding alert, click the "Alerts" tab and then click on "Configure." From there, simply click on "Vehicle Speed" and follow the steps below to create a speeding alert.
1. Name the alert
2. Select whether you want to be alerted if a certain speed is reached, or if you want to be alerted if a vehicle exceeds the speed limit by a specified amount.
3. Specify the amount of time the vehicle must sustain that speed before an alert is triggered
4. Select the vehicle(s) to apply the speeding alert to, or select "all vehicles"
5. Select a timeframe (or multiple timeframes) to disable the alert on a daily basis. During these times, an alert will not be generated, even if the speeding threshold is exceeded.
6. Lastly, specify the contact(s) to receive a notification via SMS or email in the event a speeding alert occurs.
Note: If a driver/vehicle is driving constantly over the configured speed threshold, and there is no time threshold configured for the alert, administrators will only receive alert notifications every 30 minutes at most. This is done purposely in order to limit the amount of email/SMS notifications that an admin receives, as well as cut down on the noise in the Alerts -> Incidents page of the Dashboard.
The screenshot below shows the configuration of a speeding alert: