Samsara fleet tracking supports a variety of alerts that can be used to track vehicles and monitor their behavior. One of these alerts is called "geofencing" and it can be used to create an alert anytime a vehicle enters or exits a specific geographic area.
To create a Geofence alert
- Navigate to Alerts > Configure > Geofence
- Select the location for the center of the geofence by searching for an address. Note that any locations that have been updated to the address book will be pre-populated in the search drop down.
- Name the location (if not already done so from the address book). Note that administrators can drag and drop the geofence on the map, as well as shrink/enlarge the geofence by using their mouse. Administrators can also draw a geofence to be any shape they want, or choose a box.
- Select whether you want to be alerted when the vehicle is outside geofence or is inside geofence.
- Vehicles this alert applies to
- All vehicles in the group is selected by default
- Click Edit Vehicle Selection to select
- Specific tags in the group
- Specific vehicles in the group
- You may select multiple tags/vehicles
- Click Done selecting vehicles when you’re done editing vehicle selections
- Input how many minutes the alert must hold for before sending the alert
- Avoid these times - Pick days and times to disable alerts
- Search contact book - pick the contact who will be receiving the alerts
- You can select multiple contacts to receive the alerts
- If the contact has a phone and email, once you’ve selected the contact you can choose to use only phone or email by unchecking/checking the boxes
- If the contact is not there you can create a new contact by clicking New
- Enter First Name (required)
- Enter Last Name
- Enter Phone and/or Email (required)
- Click Save
- Description - You can add a short description about this alert so you can easily identify it in the future
- Click Save
Once you’ve created the geofence alert, it will appear on the left side of the page. You can turn the alert on or off by toggling the switch. If you want to edit the alert, click on the alert and edit accordingly.