In accordance with the ELD mandate, edits to a driver's log cannot be suggested until after the driver has certified their log.
Beginning on December 18th, 2017, the following steps are required to complete an edit:
- A driver certifies their daily log
- The carrier makes corrections to the driver's log
- The driver is notified of the changes and can accept or reject the suggested corrections
Please note: You cannot begin making corrections to a log that has not yet been certified by the driver.
ELD Mandate on Driver Approvals
The ELD mandate requires driver approval of edits suggested by a carrier. Specifically, 49 CFR 395.30 (d) 1-2 requires:
- "A driver must confirm or reject any proposed change... in order for any motor carrier-proposed changes to take effect."
- "A motor carrier may not request edits to the driver's electronic records before the records have been submitted by the driver."
Samsara complies with this regulation by allowing carriers to suggest edits to a driver's log only after it has been certified.
How it Works
Driver approval introduces significant changes to the correction process used by devices prior to the mandate. We've made it simple to conduct this process using the steps below.
Step 1: Driver Certifies their Log
At the end of a driver's day, the driver certifies their log from the HOS > Log screen in the Samsara Driver app.
Step 2: You Make Corrections in the Dashboard
Once a driver has certified their log, the "Missing Driver Certification" violation will be cleared and the "Edit" option will become available on the driver's log.
To make a correction:
- Select the driver's certified log from the "Fleet" > "Reports" > "Driver HOS" Page in the Samsara Dashboard
- Use the "Edit" button to display the selections for editing a specific segment of the log.
- Make the necessary edit using options displayed.
- Click "Save" to complete your correction.
Once the correction has been saved, the "Show Pending Edits" button can be used to toggle between views of the original log and the corrected log.
As required by the ELD mandate, the carrier cannot suggest edits to an uncertified log. On an uncertified driver's log, the "Edit" option is unavailable.
Step 3: Driver Reviews Corrections
Once a correction has been saved by the carrier, the correction is immediately pushed to the driver's mobile device in the Driver App.
1. The driver see will a red banner labeled "Review Carrier Edits" on the main HOS screen as well as on any individual log where pending edits exist.
2. The driver taps "Review Carrier Edits" to Accept or Reject the edits. If they do not view the edits here, they are prompted again immediately before Sign Out.
3. The log you edited will open, prompting the driver to review your changes and re-certify. They can switch between Edited Log and Original Log to compare your changes with the original.
4. If more than one edit exists on the log, the driver may tap the checkmark or x next to each edited segment to accept or reject that individual segment. To reject all edits, they must tap the x next to each edited segment.
5. The driver selects "Certify and Submit" at the bottom of the screen.
6. If more logs exist with pending edits, tapping Certify and Submit will then direct the driver to the next log needing review. They can click "Skip" at any time to move on to a different day or "Cancel" to exit this screen.
Step 4: Log is Corrected
Once the edits have been accepted by the driver, the "Show Pending Edits" button is removed from the driver's log in the Samsara Dashboard, and the driver's log is updated on their DOT Inspection screen in the Samsara Driver App.
You can also reference our Editing Logs for Admins training video below.