When it's time to start running your fleet with Samsara, we make it easy to set up lots of new driver accounts all at once.
Need to edit a lot of driver data at once? Update driver data by creating an export, performing your edits, and then uploading the changes.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- You cannot create or update more than 500 records at a time
- You can download all of your records at once
- Many fields enforce validation requirements such as length, format, or uniqueness (see Understanding Acceptable Driver Data)
- The same usernames and drivers' licenses cannot be used for multiple driver accounts
Prepare Driver Data for Import
You can input several pieces of data about drivers in the Samsara platform, from the basics--name, username, and password to values like driver's license to pre-populate fields in DOT forms.
The best way to prepare your driver data is to use one of our Driver Import Templates below, customized for ELD vs. non-ELD customers
- Samsara Driver Import Template- ELD.csv (ELD)
- Samsara Driver Import Template Non -ELD Template (1).csv (Non-ELD)
These templates include fields that you can fill in for an individual driver along with basic validators to ensure you upload data in the right format.
Using the Driver Import Template
To use one of the templates:
- Download the appropriate template
- Open the template in a spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel, or upload it to Google Sheets
- Fill in your driver data, observing any data validation prompts
- Save the file as a CSV file
Understanding Acceptable Driver Data
The data entered into the form and uploaded must follow certain rules for an import to be successful.
The following columns are available for all customers and are subject to the following rules:
- Username: Must be at least 4 characters long and unique (not duplicated or a username). Note space cant be used in the username.
- Password: Must be present (cannot be blank)
- Name: Must be present (cannot be blank)
- Phone: If present, must be a 10 digit number (e.g. 5554443333)
- Tags: Tags listed must already exist (cannot be created here)
- License Number: Must be unique (not duplicated)
- License State
- Driver ID
The following columns are available for ELD customers:
- ELD Personal Conveyance (PC): True or False
- ELD Yard Moves (YM): True or False
- ELD Day Start: 0 or 12 (midnight or noon)
- Carrier Name Override
- Main Office Address Override
- Carrier DOT Number Override
- Home Terminal Name
- Home Terminal Address
- Home Terminal Timezone: It is recommended to only populate home terminal timezones that override the organization default timezone. These must be one of the following:
Honolulu - HST
Anchorage - AKST/AKDT
Los Angeles - PST/PDT
Phoenix - MST
Denver - MST/MDT
Chicago - CST/CDT
New York - EST/EDT
Halifax - AST/ADT
Azores - AZOT/AZOST
Reykjavik - GMT
London - GMT/BST
Paris - CET/CEST
Kaliningrad - EET
Helsinki - EET/EEST
Turkey - TRT
Importing Driver Data via Upload
Once the file has been saved as a CSV, you're ready to import your driver data:
1. Open the Samsara Admin panel and navigate to the Drivers page in Settings, then Select the More Actions button and choose Upload CSV
2. Choose the CSV file from your computer and then click Upload
If the upload is a success, the number of drivers uploaded will appear in a notification:
Downloading Existing Driver Data
The easiest way to update many driver records at once is to first download the existing data. Then, you can simply edit the fields you need to change, or add the data that's missing, and quickly re-upload the file.
- Open the Samsara Admin panel and navigate to the Drivers page in Settings
- Find the More Actions menu and choose Download CSV
The Driver Record CSV will then be saved to your computer.
Editing Driver Data
The Driver Record CSV file can be opened in any spreadsheet program, including Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. The process for making changes is simple:
- Open the Driver Record CSV file in a spreadsheet program
- Perform edits to existing records
- Add any additional (new) driver records to the bottom of the spreadsheet, leaving the ID column blank
- Save the Driver Record CSV file
Tips for Editing Driver Data
Check Your Data: Unlike the import template, however, the CSV file does not contain validators, so be sure to double-check your data before uploading. Refer to "Understanding Acceptable Driver Data" in "Importing Users" above for data format rules.
Don't Edit or Delete the "id" Column: Another important difference between the import template and driver record files exported from the platform is that there is an additional column, "id". Do not delete the "id" column or clear the id values; the platform will attempt to create duplicate records and your bulk update will fail.
Updating Driver Data via Upload
To submit your updates, upload your Driver Record CSV file using the More Actions button, this time choosing Upload CSV.
If your upload is successful, a confirmation with the number of records updated will be displayed.